Instructions for submission
- Manuscripts must correspond to the Aims and Scope of the Ethical Thought. Submissions should be made by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the manuscript file attached in Word format. Manuscripts should be formatted in exact accordance with the Guidelines.
- The Ethical Thought accepts original articles, discussions, review essays, book reviews and translations. Non-theoretical materials are not accepted.
- Authors must guarantee their submission is original and offered to the Ethical Thought for first publication, that not part of the manuscript has been previously published, that it is not under the consideration by any other journal and that no other agreement to publish it or part of it is outstanding.
Translated articles are published in accordance with copyright law and by the permission of the original author. It is the responsibility of the translator to obtain the rights to a foreign title and reach an agreement with copyright holders concerning the rights to a translation.
- An author has the non-exclusive right of republication of her/his article, in whole or in part, in any scholarly work of which she/he is an author or an editor, provided that she/he makes a statement prominently displayed on the article, specifying the journal’s name and exact publisher’s imprint.
The author is responsible for the accuracy of citation, bibliography, names and titles transcriptions.
Articles and Translations: between 4,000 and 8,000 words (including footnotes, references, bibliography and abstract)
Review essays: between 3,000 and 5,000 words
Book reviews: between 1,500 and 5,000 words
Abstracts are required for all kinds of materials.
Articles exceeding the required length are not accepted.
- Publication language: Russian and English
- Manuscripts must be prepared for blind peer review. Information about the author(s) should be submitted in a separate document.
Peer Review process
- Upon submission, manuscripts are checked by the editorial board to confirm that they conform to the submission requirements. If they do not, they will be returned to the author for the required changes.
- Manuscripts that pass initial screening are sent for the second screening by the executive editor who handles the subject area of the manuscript. Some papers are rejected at this point.
- All manuscripts are subjected to the check for plagiarism. In the case of revealed plagiarism and in case if the editorial board reveals that the submitted manuscript has been published in some other journal, in whole or in part, it will be rejected.
- All materials that pass the second internal screening are sent for blind review to two reviewers within two weeks of submission. The authors will be notified in written of the commencement of the review process. The review process may not exceed one month from the date of receiving the manuscript. Reviewers can decline within one week from the date of receiving the manuscript and must notify the journal of their decision.
- Review process is anonymous for both the author and the reviewers.
- Review process is confidential. Reviewers and members of the editorial board must keep all reviewed material confidential. Reviewers and editors must not share materials submitted for review with third parties.
- All reviewers have expertise in the areas of peer-reviewed materials and have research articles published in the corresponding area over the last three years. Reviewers may be selected from among the members of the editorial board and among the experts from various research and higher education institutions across the country. In some cases reviewers may come from outside of the country. If the manuscript is of an interdisciplinary character the experts from appropriate fields may be invited to take part in the review process.
- The author or any of the co-authors cannot be reviewers. Academic supervisors of graduate students or colleagues from the institution where the author is currently employed may not be invited as reviewers. Invited reviewers must notify the editorial board of any potential conflict of interest.
- The review should include an expert analysis of the material, objective and well-supported evaluation and constructive recommendations. The review should be concluded with the final decision concerning the suitability of the manuscript for publication: the manuscript is recommended for publication, the manuscript is recommended for publication with revisions; the manuscript is not recommended for publication.
- In case of a positive assessment from both reviewers the manuscript is then to be approved by the editorial board. Upon acceptance the author will be notified by email, which may include a list of suggested revisions. The editorial board retains the right to reject the manuscript even if both reviewers gave a positive assessment. The author will be fully informed of the reasons for rejection.
- In case of negative assessments from both reviewers the author will be provided with the reasons for rejection. In case of two conflicting reviews the editor-in-chief will make the final decision concerning the manuscript. In case of disagreement between the reviewers the manuscript may be forwarded to a third independent expert. The selection of reviewers can be determined by the editorial board, or by the editor-in-chief, or by a deputy editor.
- The editorial board will forward the copies of anonymous reviews to the author upon request.
- Reviews are kept for a period of five years.
- The editorial board agrees to submit copies of the reviews to the Department of Education and Science of Russian Federation upon request.
Guidelines for manuscript publishing
- Decisions about publication are made within three months from the date of submission.
- Acceptance of the manuscript does not guarantee its publication in the current issue. The editorial board makes a decision concerning the issue in which the accepted manuscript will be published.
- Upon acceptance of the manuscript a standard agreement is signed between the author and the journal.
- Publication fee is not charged to authors.